What will you do when you suddenly notice a disturbing view on the wall? You recognize it as molds. Actually, it is not that sudden because the mold needs time to grow and spread. Besides, some conditions at the place where the mold grows will also affect it.
Molds are microscopic fungi that live on plant or animal matter. Molds are made of many cells and, sometimes, can be seen with the naked eyes. Molds’ main body part is called mycelium. The reason why you can see molds with naked eyes is that they grow in colonies (visible molds).
So, how does mold grow? The following information will help you to know more about the causes, the common place where it grows, and so on.
Table of Contents
What causes mold grow in a house
The mold grows in a humid environment. In this condition, several points below can be the causes
- Condensation. After the gas matter changes into the liquid one, it will wet the surface of the wall, ceiling, or floor. If the area stays that way for couple period of times, the place will become the best spot for molds to grow.
- Water leaks are a big problem. The leak may not only because of rain but also from broken pipes. The water will seep into a wall, ceiling, and floor. Since the leak source may be unnoticeable immediately, regular checking is needed to prevent the mold growth.
- Bad air circulation is also a problem. Preventing the growth of the mold is not only by keeping your house clean; you also need to set a balance moisture level in your rooms. To make it balance, a house has to have proper ventilation.
Molds form spores. They are like a dandelion; the dry ones float through the air and enter a building. If the molds find a place with high humidity level, they will start to grow and spread.
Where does mold grow best
Molds (spores) can enter your house through the air, or it could be brought by an animal. They can also stick on your shoes or clothes, and then find their spot to live inside. In a house, there are common places where molds can grow.
- Bathroom. You use this place every day. Because of the water, this area becomes damp almost all the time. This condition will support the molds to live. In a bathroom, you may find molds in the corner part, under of a bathtub, or on the tiles line.
- In the kitchen area. There are lots of reasons why molds can live in the kitchen. It can be because of the steam of boiling water that increases the humidity, water leak or splash from a sink, and leftover foods.
- Windows frame. Windows often get damp because of the rain. If you forget to keep it clean, molds would start to live there. Frames that made of wood may invite the molds more than other materials.
- Furniture and other equipment. After all of those noticeable areas, you need to check the hidden spots like behind a painting or wardrobe. Do not forget to clean the other equipment, households, or utensils like a stove, refrigerator, dishes, and trash bin.
What does mold need to grow
Molds are neither animal nor plant. They include in the fungi kingdom. Molds do not get their energy through photosynthesis like a plant. But, they also ‘eat’ or live from the place where they grow. To sustain their life cycle, molds will need
- Mold spores. Spores are part of molds body which will help them spread through the air or other living creatures.
- Moisture. They live when the humidity level is about 50% or higher.
- Food sources. These are usually where they live, such as food, woody material, or cotton (wet and dirty fabrics)
- Dark spots. Apparently, the sunlight can inhabit the molds.
- Enough time to grow and spread
How fast does mold grow
In a right condition, molds start growing right after they make contact with an item or material. Molds can grow within 24-48 hours and begin to have color (turn black, for example) from 1 to 12 days. Molds have grown even before you discover them in the form of spores.
For food like bread, between the homemade and industrial ones, they have a different time to form the mold spores. Usually, molds on industrial bread take more time to create spores because the bread has a particular mechanism for preventing the growth of the mold.
To prevent and exterminate the molds, there are two main keys that are cleanliness and balanced humidity level. Cleaning your house every day or at least three times in a week will help the prevention.
Very well, now you have known about the information of how does mold grow, especially for the indoor area. Just keep in mind, although molds spores have been removed, they can start to grow again right away. When it happens and you do not know how to deal with it, asking a professional’s help is the best option.